Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Breaktimes at TR...

I’ve been out west of town to Turtle River State Park a couple times so far this spring, and it’s been refreshing. It’s not a big place, but nonetheless can remind you that the world is not entirely covered in prairie with no known deviations in elevation. I forget sometimes living in this town. The first time I went out was a singlespeeding venture on the 1x1. I’m sad to say the looong winters here tend to make me somewhat of a fat-feeling man come spring, cuz the gear I was pushin’ last fall sure felt tough this spring. However, the ride was definitely enjoyed, and I’ll have to try and make some regular trips out there now that the weather is not continually foul. The second time I went, it was on foot with Alison, and our friends Jess and Chris. It was surprisingly nice to slow things down from the regular biking pace and do some hiking. The park seemed a little bigger, and I saw a lot more wildlife than normal. I going to have to say that hiking/backpacking is just as much fun for me as riding at this point in my life, which in the past I never would have said. There’s a poem at the beginning of The Complete Walker IV (blogged about previously), that states:
Shall I walk,
Or shall I ride,
Ride, pleasure said,
Walk, joy replied.
I agree that both are good ways to get out of the humdrum hustle of busy everyday chores and enjoy what’s outside. Don’t spend your whole life toiling…

No comments: