Saturday, February 02, 2008

slow weekend

So the weather has not been able to settle on what to do to us here in MN. Last weekend, 40 degrees, followed by rain. Then below zero weather for awhile. Now upper 20’s. The result is really bad snow conditions. Unacceptable for snowshoeing or skiing. Too icy to do much hiking in, and grey to the point I feel I’m in a black and white picture. Yuk. I tried to fly to UT this weekend where the real snow is, but flights were packed and I don’t pay to fly. (I know, complain about a real problem.) So I’m killing some time inside going through pictures of old adventures. I do it often, and find new things to find amusing each time. Today it’s the progression of my own cycling fashion. I’ve discovered that one can tell what period of life I was in during a ride picture by looking at my clothing. I’ve picked out two pictures that show it well.

The first shows me on one of my famous college trips to Moab, UT. I clearly have no money in this picture. My jersey is from ebay. My shorts are from a clearance rack online. I’m wearing non-cycling thermal underwear that were employee-purchased while working for Scheels in Grand Forks (the lowers are sold as hunting wear), That helmet never sat any other way than the crooked position displayed. My gloves were a gift from college girlfriend (Kelly says they were the only good thing that came out of that relationship :) ). The shoes I bought on sale in high school, and I do actually still use them 11 years later, but are dying. Sunglasses, also an employee discount. All in all, probably no more than $200, despite being performance outdoor gear.






The second photo is me at the 2007 Headwaters 100 decked out in my current matching road garb. Shoes- Specialized Body Geometry road. Socks, cycling specific with “Dopers Suck” moto- reaction to the latest Tour de France scandals. Castelli Italian Pro road bibs. Clif Bar Team Jersey. Specialized Arm warmers. Giro Eclipse road helmet New pair of Smith Toaster sunglasses. Specialize Body Geometry gloves. Tucked into jersey pockets, shed with warming weather during the day- Pearl Izumi leg warmers, Cannondale waterproof cycling jacket (convertible to vest to serve picky choosers), and windfleece overgloves, cycling specific. All in all, retail value (not my paid price, I still shop deals and built this arsenal over much time) around $815. Wow, I’m suddenly feeling guilty. Not really, some of you have TV’s that cost
many times that and provide no health benefits. I’ll wear my bike bling proudly….

No comments: