Sunday, February 01, 2009

Warm wx ski...

Yesterday was a very good day for MN.  After spending over a month without seeing temps above freezing, we thawed to 46 degrees in STP!  Yeah, I realize to some ready this blog 46 is a cold winter day, but after living through -25 plus horrible windchills, 46 feels incredibly warm to a Northerner.  I knew by the forecast friday night that I needed to be outside saturday, so I planned on getting out to Afton State Park to do some nordic skiing.  I had to be careful to go early enough, because those kind of temps pretty much ruin the ski conditions.  I ended up skiing a couple hours on descent snow (for MN), then for the last half hour it turned to glue in the heat.  I still have to say it was by far the best time I've had on my skis yet since buying them last year, due to the warmth and lack of cold weather pain, as well as the fact that Afton is a descent looking little park, with some actual up and down terrain.  And the uphill sections were very easy to grip due to the warm conditions.  And another thing I noticed was that the warmer temps allowed for more slowing down to enjoy things- I picked out the familiar but missed smell of cool (not bitter) air with pine and snow.  Typical mountain smell that brings a smile.  All in all a nice day out.  It won't stay this way; I'm sure we're in for more winter gloom, but it was nice to enjoy some of a weekend in warmer temps without having to get on a plane and escape.  Spring, you're welcome to come anytime now...  



















Uphill stretch (yeah, I know those of you in UT climb thousands of feet on skis and not tens, but it's all we have here)...



















Is that sun and blue sky, in January, in MN??  Nice.



No comments: