Saturday, November 14, 2009

Changing up my running.

Frustrated with the pain and suffering I described a couple posts ago regarding the running I've been doing, I read Born to Run, a book recommended by several friends of mine. Great read; I'm now also recommending it. One of the things the book highlights is a hotly debated topic of whether or not modern running shoes have done anything to actually help runners avoid injury. It suggests that they have instead caused more injuries than prevented them. This is supposedly because our feet are not able to react and function in the way they do naturally when not encased in a "protective" shoe. Instead of landing softly on the forefoot with a short stride when barefoot, the running-shoe-shod foot lands hard on the heel are rotates forward to the forefoot after a long high impact stride. And while the cushioning in a running shoe is designed to absorb some of this impact, it cannot possibly protect our bodies from the force generated by that kind of impact. Think about how much you weigh, then factor in the force of your foot's acceleration and landing, and it is rather silly to think an inch of rubber/cushioning will dissipate it all when landing directly on the heel. That's supposedly why we get injured more often now that running shoes have become so prevalent in the past 30-some years. Running barefoot, or close to it, allows the body to react correctly, and we run like we evolved to do. I won't regurgitate the book to you, but I'd totally recommend it. And don't think it's a boring comparative article either, it's actually a very entertaining true story of the author's seeking out of the Taramuhara Indians of Mexico's Copper Canyons to learn how they run into old age in sandles over harsh terrain injury free while dining on corn mush. :) In they end they even put on a 50 mile foot race between the Taramuhara and a few very tough American ultra marathon runners- I won't tell you who wins. :)
By reading this book and several other accounts of barefoot-style running, I decided to try a pair of Vibram Fivefingers footwear, which leave you feeling barefoot, but provide protection against cuts and nicks and small stuff you run into while truly barefoot. It takes some time for your muscles to get used to them, as we've spent our whole lives in shoes, but I love them so far. I haven't felt any of the knee and hip pain that was experiencing while running in the expensive running shoes I got fitted for and started out in. The only thing I've dealt with is an expected soreness in certain muscles, such as my calves, as they are worked harder barefoot, but that's just the body getting stronger, not injured. Sweet. If you try them, follow the Vibram link above to several tips in their barefoot running section so as to not go overboard with it at the beggining. As mentioned, your body needs to adjust, and it might not be for everyone. So far I dig it. I'll keep you posted.


Hiking around Makapuu Point in Oahu in my new Vibram Fivefingers KSOs:

5 comments:

Linnea said...

I totally love the Vibrams! So far, they haven't fit in the budget but soon! Here is where I first heard about them: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/05/07/vibram-five-fingers-shoes/

Don't try to wear them running with the bulls though!http://www.google.com/reader/view/?tab=my#search/vibram%20/6

Jason Berberich said...

I've looked at the Fivefingers too, and was tempted to give them a try. Unfortunately, they don't make them in sizes for small-footed people like myself.

It looks like the Nike Free's would fit me, but they're not quite the same. Besides, I haven't had the best of luck with Nike running shoes so far.

treadnorth said...

I'm on the other end of the sizing spectrum; I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a big enough pair, but lucked out. They just barely include me.

Al Gauthier said...

FiveFingers are fantastic... LivingBarefoot.info has some good reivews on the various models, and they even have a podcast where they have interviewed the FiveFingers people - it's a good listen.

KPRTS said...

The body can put a force up to 12 times your body weight on the foot, or in the case of your nike's, the calcanious (or however its spelled) so say you way a scrawny 100 lbs, thats 1200 lbs on your foot... That's like a smart car...

Nice work Tread, I think we are going to go down to Chico Mexico for some limestone over Christmas, and of course, some good long runs.