Sunday, August 08, 2010

The Salsa Mukluk

So I've spent quite a bit of my time on the internet lately while healing. While doing this, I noticed Salsa Cycles has come out with yet another bike I like the look of. It's not exactly a brand new design, but I think they've done a great job entering the market of this still-infant branch of riding- snow-biking. It's the Salsa Mukluk. You've heard me speak of the Surly Pugsley in the past. If I was a man of much money I'd have owned one of them as soon as they came out, as I live in the part of the country where one can come in extremely useful- we have one of the biggest winter-riding cultures in the US here. When you hear of winter biking, there's a good chance MN and AK are the states that come up. This is because of the Arrowhead 135 and the Iditarod Sport Invitational.
The most obvious feature of a snow-bike is the tire footprint. Huge is the description. 3.7" wide tires are the norm, and generally the frame will accommodate up to 4". This takes a dedicated rim, 100mm (long) bottom bracket, and off-set of the drivetrain. What the bike is designed to due is ride at very low tire pressures with the huge tire footprint providing much more floatation over snow, ice, sand, debris, and other forms of crud, all of which we have a lot of here in MN (and AK is certainly known for as well).
I've had the chance to ride a Pug in a parking lot, but that's it. I'd love to ride one where it matters and see the difference. Those who own them swear by them, and they're a pretty bike-centric group who know what they're talking about. You'd be hard pressed to find a snow bike owner who doesn't ride seriously.
It's nice to see the snow-biking culture expand to include another machine available (and one that is aluminum- the bike will be subject to the worst riding elements you can imagine, afterall). There are certainly more snow-bikes out there, but they usually involve a whole lot more money. The sport is becoming more accessible to the the common cyclist. It will not be this winter due to my current physical challenges, but if I live in MN long term, there is a good chance I'll figure out how to own a snow bike. After all, we have a lot of winter.

The Salsa Mukluk:



3 comments:

Doug said...

I've had my Pugsley since 2006. It opened up a whole new world of biking for me. I would have never thought I'd have a bike I could ride on snow. Heading out into the woods on the hundreds of miles of local snowmobile trails is one of the funnest things I've ever done. And finishing the Arrowhead 135 in 2008 is one of my proudest accomplishments.

Don't tell my other bicycles I said this, but it's possible I may love my Pugsley the most.

Nice to see the market will support another entry into this niche market.

treadnorth said...

Nice to hear from you Doug- I've been following your blog for a while now.
You've got quite a few nice bikes, so that's a lot to say that the Pug may be the favorite. Sounds like I need to build one up someday.
Congrats on the Arrowhead finish, too...that's a big deal. I'd like to give it a try some time in the future if I end up with the right bike.
I have a major surgery to heal from for the next several months, but we'll see what riding adventures follow. :)
Happy trails!
-Ben

Anonymous said...

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience concerning unpredicted emotions.


Also visit my web page; binoa