Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday run...

We’ll I did get out for a bit this afternoon to enjoy some trail. Lebanon Hills Regional Park is finally drying out, and I ran 5 miles in what was not bad weather, but not good weather. Felt more like late fall than Spring, but it beats a treadmill. I took the new Merrell Trail Glove’s with Mountain Hardware strapless running gaiters, and my feet stayed cozy. I do have to say I’ve come to love my FiveFingers, and it feels funny to be in shoes (opposite of most people’s view I’m sure). When it’s warmer I’ll be back in them.

Overall I’m doing pretty well with running after surgery, but I’m noticing my heart rate is still high at most times. I’m hoping it’s just due to being in much worse shape than I was pre-surgery; this would make sense. A major reason for having the surgery was creating more room for my heart to expand so it wouldn’t have to compensate with high rates due to less volume. So in short, I hope to see slower heart rates over time as I get back into the shape I was in the past.

But anyhow, today’s run took me through woodlands, that despite being located in the metro, had no people in sight, and plenty of wildlife. Lots of birds, big and small, deer, and a brave muskrat who swam right up to be when I stopped for a drink of my bottle at the edge of a pond. Good company. I love getting into the zone out in the woods and forgetting about offices.

New kicks:




No comments: