Sunday, October 23, 2011

Getting ready for winter...Salsa style...

This year just seems to be the year I finally dig into cycling stuff I've been dreaming about forever. The coupler touring bike is all set up, and last week I picked up the latest addition to the stable- a snow bike! I live in a place that's frozen for a very large part of the year, I stay outside for all of it, and I love bikes, so it was only natural to end up with a fat-bike. I've been somewhat obsessed with the idea of one since seeing the Surly Pugsley come out several years ago. In the end I went with the new Salsa Mukluk 2. Yes, surprisingly to those that know me, I picked a fat-bike that isn't steel. I really love steel as a frame material, which the Pugsley is made of, and I do love a good Surly (I own two.) But the Pug just seemed to have a slightly short top tube for me, being so tall, and I loved the geometry/feel of the the Mukluk. It feels a bit like a touring bike- stable, upright, and ready for the long slog in awful conditions, but keeping the right amount of maneuverability for the slightly technical times.
The anodized aluminum frame saves weight over other snow bikes, as does the drilled Rolling Daryl rims. It's kinda funny that I ended up with a snow bike on the lighter side of the spectrum after spending so much time on road and mountain bikes that are on the heavier side. Opposite as most people as usual.
So now I'm stoked for the MN winter. I'm no stranger to winter riding, but now I'm extra equipped on a modern snow machine. MN is getting well known for it's snow riding scene, and I'm ready to enjoy it. Bring on the dark, cold, fat tire miles...

Posing in the sands of the the MN River bottoms...

2 comments:

Doug said...

Most excellent choice. A fat bike opens up so many new opportunities for riding. Have fun.

Wilson said...

Everyone talks about Pugsly's (which I think are great), but its nice to see the other options. I'll be looking for a fat bike sometime soon, I hope.