Sunday, November 27, 2011

A late Thanksgiving post

So, I've been ridiculously busy at work, and thus not cycling or keeping up with this blog as much as I'd prefer. Even so, I do want to take the time to post a late Thanksgiving comment, as I had a moment of notable "thanks" on the way to my in-laws place for dinner last Thursday.
As I've done in years past, I decided to make the trip from STP to Coon Rapids via bicycle. The route up is rather simple- ride Summit Ave to the Mississippi and then follow it to the in-laws place a few suburbs north.
Along the way, I passed by the hospital I had my original pectus surgery done. I stood there for a bit looking at the doors I left from after the procedure. I was being pushed in a wheelchair, and had been through and was heading for a lot of painful days. I remember as I was waiting for our car to pull up to take me home, seeing a cyclist roll past on a Surly on their way to wherever, and I was feeling so far from being able to hop on a bike again. It just plain sucked.
I hadn't really thought of that moment again until passing by the hospital on the way to Thanksgiving dinner, and it really did cause me to feel thankful, as I was now the person passing by on my bike enjoying the ability to ride. The small joys in life matter. Be thankful for the good days.

1 comment:

Wilson said...

Lots of reasons to be thankful, indeed. Nice post.