Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Envy?

Last night I ran some errands by bike, something I do regularly, unless of course it is cold to a ridiculous level, which it has been quite often this past month, so it felt great to get out again. And just like many other town commute rides, I was yelled at by a motorist. It was the classic "get off the road!", backed up with their favorite finger. Common. My favorite rendition of this situation was a "Off the road, Lance!", shouted at my good friend Andrew last year, since the only famous bike name that the majority of this country's citizens are aware of is none other than Mr. Lance Armstrong. Lance Armstrong probably doesn't do a whole lot of commuting on a 30 pound single speed with full fenders in the snow. Nonetheless, it provides something for angry people to yell. In a strange way I've almost come to enjoy the displays of often times reason-less irritation from those in cars during my commutes. It's part of the ride. Spices things up. And sometimes I think it's people's strange way of showing respect to the guy who digs adventure and does things differently. It used to make me upset, but now when I see some college kid hanging out the window yelling at me just because I'm on a bicycle and they consider this an obvious target for harrassment, I just smile and pedal on.

No comments: