Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Congressional Response

A few blog entries ago, I gave a link to the Lance Armstrong Foundation to contact your federal representatives to plead against proposals to cut funds to cancer research. I used it to contact my representatives, and two of them, Earl Pomeroy and Kent Conrad have recently written back to me. Below is Congressman Pomeroy’s email response in it’s entirety as sent to myself, and soon I will post Sen. Conrad’s as well. Remember to be represented- contact your representatives on issues important to you!

December 30, 2005

Benjamin Jensen
1967 25th Ave S
Grand Forks, ND [required-

Dear Benjamin:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to cuts in cancer research programs. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Like you, I am deeply troubled by proposals being considered in Congress that would result in cancer research funding cuts. If legislation like this is passed, it could have a devastating effect on the future of cancer care. Prior investments in cancer research and programs have resulted in tremendous strides in healthcare improvements and have laid the groundwork for future progress. Cutting funds for cancer research is definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Because of woefully inadequate funding levels in a number of critical health, education, and other programs, the House actually first rejected the conference report on the Labor, Health and Human Services bill, where funding for cancer programs is located. Unfortunately, after some of the bill's funding was tweaked, the bill was brought to the floor and was passed by only two votes. I opposed this legislation.

The legislation now goes to the Senate for consideration, but it is unclear whether the Senate will be able to pass the bill. My hope is that the bill will be reconsidered by the House and that funding levels for critical programs such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Cancer Institute will be increased.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope you will keep in touch.

Sincerely,

EARL POMEROY
Member of Congress

EP:MR

No comments: