Monday, April 03, 2006

Of Rivers Foul and Fair

This past weekend Alison and I traveled to Albert Lea, MN to attend her grandfather’s funeral. This spring has been relatively tough for families; ourselves and our friends have been losing many loved ones. I guess it’s the age our lives when our older relatives are reaching the ages where they pass. That’s the way of life though.
Anyhow, on our trip back we decided that we have driven I-94 and I-29 far too many times, and elected to take a slower, yet more scenic route through the north woods country of MN. Our path took us conveniently through Lake Itasca State Park, so we stopped and picked up our ’06 annual park pass and had a look around. The plan is to go on an overnight backpacking venture there this upcoming weekend, so it was nice to have a chance to preview the trail conditions. It’s definitely Spring in the north woods, which means a mixture of ice, snow, dry land, mud, and an occasional drunken fisherman on his super-smelly ATV (or is the himself that in fact is the source of stink?). Anyhow, this week should help dry out the park a little, but we’ll have to prepare for chilliness and sogginess for this weekends loooooong overdue hiking. I’m not afraid. Like I’ve ranted before, sunny skies and warm, dry temps are not the only thing to experience as an outdoor enthusiast. But anyhow, I thought I’d post a shot or two of the icy Spring scenery of Itasca, in all it’s wildernessy goodness (shots taken at the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River). Also, I will post for your viewing my latest visit (same day) of the Red River, our nasty garbage/pesticide filled mess that is yet again flooding our cities. (Why we don’t all just move I’m not clear on; this happens every year and we keep taking it.) Flying over it all today I don’t know how any farmers are going to operate this year. Our fields are completely under water, and so are many farmsteads. Yikes. But anyhow, I must now return home to visit with our apartment manager (who I suspect may have spotted our cat Mullet, who is not allowed in the building- he’s visiting a friends house during the meeting). More later…

Clean wintery solitude near the headwaters of the Mississippi...
















Garbage/ice/tractor parts cloggin' and floodin' our town...

No comments: