Sunday, April 22, 2007

Quote of the holiday...

As some of you may know, today is Earth Day. The Discovery Channel was running many episodes of it's series called "Planet Earth", which displays a huge variety of scenery, creatures, and science from all over the planet we live on. It's pretty fascinating. It really gets me thinking of how small my daily routine really is, and just how much more is out there. I really don't want to be stuck in just one place for many years at a time when there is so much creation to see. And I'd sure like to do what I can to make sure future generations get to feel the same awe when they look outside.
And as talk of the environment and creation does quite often, it got me searching through quotes of my favorite author, the late Edward Abbey, who is hailed as somewhat of an environmentalist, even though I don't know whether or not he would apply the term to himself. He was most assuredly floored by the power of nature, and dumbstruck at how complacent the Earth's inhabitants can become as to their own surroundings. This quote is simple but fitting for Earth Day, and worth tossing around in your head if you're the pondering type:

“The world is older and bigger than we are. This is a hard truth for some folks to swallow.”

-Edward Abbey

Happy Earth Day. Don't forgot that our grandkids need to live here too.

No comments: