Saturday, June 23, 2007

Pro Cycling Live...

Last night I got my first live viewing of a pro cycling race. The Nature Valley Grand Prix is going on here in the Twin Cities area, and I rode the fixie into downtown Minneapolis for the 4th stage, which was a criterium. I forgot my camera, which I was bummed about, but you can view some pictures of the event at it's website. I was amazed at the amount of wind stirred up by a peloton (the main group of riders). Every time the peloton went by, the flags on the building I was standing next to stuck straight out, and rested again when it had passed. Pretty cool. It was great to see such a good turnout for a cycling event in the States. People still seem to think that throwing balls is more fun, but cycling is catching on. If you ever get a chance to check out a race, do it. It's worth the trip. And if you're in the Twin Cities tomorrow, Stillwater is hosting the final stage of the Nature Valley Grand Prix.

No comments: