Sunday, April 27, 2008

CA and UT

As always, I'm travelin'. Since the last entry I've been out to CA with Alison to visit Edward and play in Yosemite, and just recently did a quick trip to SLC to climb some spring granite and ride the Bobsled mountain bike trail. The granite was very wet, and a bit dicey to climb on, but that's what protection's for. I don't know about Kelly, who was leading, but I felt like I expanded my horizons a bit in the wetness. Pulled a few moves I didn't know I had in me cuz I had no choice. Good stuff. What's a UT trip without a little edgy outdoor adventure?? As for the Bobsled- wow, I forgot how much fun that trail is. I don't have any pix for you, but picture how an actual bobsled course throws the sled back and forth essentially up the sides of walls via momentum, and then picture the dirt/rock mountain bike version. Cool. I don't know any place in MN where I can look straight to my side at 25mph and see the ground cuz I'm sideways rollin' a wall. :)
As for Yosemite- Yes! It's one of the most famous National Parks in the world for a reason. It's incredible!! If you haven't gone, tell your boss you're going! Make the time and come up with the money. It's so stellar to stand in Yosemite Valley amongst 3,000 foot granite walls and the waterfalls that cascade down them. Waking up in a down jacket and cookin' up breakfast while the you watch the warmth of the sun creep slowly closer and closer down the valley walls is something special. Gets you ready for an epic hike, which there are plenty of in the Park. We did the Mist Trail following the famed Merced River past Vernal and Nevada Falls- supposedly the best day hike in all of Yosemite. We didn't have much time so we figured we better do something with a high concentration of "awesome". That one worked. There's really too much to write about it, so I'll let the pictures speak for me, which of course don't speak to actually standing there yourself, so you should go! :) Enjoy:

Liberty Cap and Edward: (brink of Nevada falls is just below him, not pictured (Yosemite's too big for one camera lens. :) )



















Edward in the busy Upper Pines Campground. Bear boxed required:



















Vernal Falls along the Mist Trail:














A crisp Yosemite Valley morning scene with two happy campers (me and Alison):



















Everyone's happier on vacation!














The John Muir Trail!!! Note that it's only 215 miles to Mt. Whitney; let's go!














Gotta kick back for lunch along the Merced River...



















Yosemite isn't just about going big, it's also about relaxing; Al's waking up warm in her winter bag...














3 pretty crusty hikers on the way down (Edward, Alison, me)...














The Mist Trail being misty...



















Part of the John Muir trail we tried to descend on was closed due to impassable snow/cliff combos...Edward and I were sad, but quickly got happy again in about 10 seconds once we realized we were still hiking in Yosemite, just an alternate trail...



















Alison descending the granite fields along the Merced...














Edward at Vernal Falls...



















Go to Yosemite!

No comments: