Monday, September 29, 2008

Making beer...


I decided to pick up yet another hobby this summer, as I'm someone who doesn't sit idle well.  This time it follows my love of food and drink, the latter being the current subject.  There is extremely well stocked and knowledgeable home brewing supply store here on Grand Ave in St Paul, and I decided after reading up on the hobby to try it out.  Glad I did.  I had a great deal of fun learning how the beer making process goes, and brewing my first batch.  I chose an EPA ingredient kit modeled after St Paul's flagship Summit EPA.  I like a great tasting brew just like a great tasting meal, and I think I'm hooked on brewing my own for a while.  It ended up costing me around 64 cents per home-brewed beer (after the equipment), which is a fantastic price for great beer.  Stop by sometime if you know me well and I'd be happy to treat you too a glass- it turned out great and has gotten rave reviews from everyone I've shared it with so far.  For now, enjoy the pix of the process:

Steeped grains:















Prepping the primary fermentor- Mullet did not trust all the hoses and containers for a second, but he sure was interested in the whole process:














Right after pitching the yeast into the cooled wort and sealing the fermentor:














Bottling with Ty after a few weeks of waiting:

3 comments:

Julia said...

Ben! Does this mean you don't need my bottles? I've been saving you bottles! I still have them!

Julia said...

Also, I'm sad I can't try this beer. I'm sure it's fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Mail me one. PDX doesnt have enough good beer.