Saturday, November 22, 2008

Karate Monkey!

Yeah, so ever since I moved to UT and sold my Surly 1x1 which I used to live on, I've been missing it.  The decision to see was based on the fact that riding a singlespeed in UT is nothing short of painful.  Everything involves long climbs, followed by rocky fast descents.  Riding rigid and singlespeed is a poor choice.  Not saying it can't be done, I just saw a one-speed Surly on Porcupine Rim (on the trip discussed two blog entries ago), but it takes a special kind of crazy (I have it on some days, but then I just look at my full suspension rock-eating efficient FSR and come back to the real world.)  At the time it made sense to switch to geared riding.  It did, and it was a good choice.  But then we quickly moved back to the midwest, and my lack of rigid steel  singlespeed (read- winter ready stead as well) has been driving me nuts.  I had the perfect rig for the Twin Cities- heck, Surly is headquartered here.  Well, I surfed and surfed craigslist and eBay for a loooong time, and I'm happy to say I found the perfect deal.  I'm the smiling owner of a barely (seriously- it's in great shape) 22" Surly Karate Monkey.  Mighty fine bike.  The guy I bought it from pretty much gave it to me, as he works for Quality Bike Products, and built the thing for cost I'm sure.  So yeah, be jealous of my find.  :)  It's set up as the single speed 29er it is popularly found as, but the guy also just threw in (here, have a bunch of free money) a nine speed drivetrain if I choose to gear it.  I may, the further into the winter headwinds we get, but I'm enjoying simple riding and little maintenance.  Plus, I found I'm able to hit Ramsey Hill (local lung buster- it's way wussy compared to UT though) on it single, so I can't really say the gears are necessary.  I have to say it took me back riding it the other night in the cold temps singlespeeding through the dark.  Felt like years past on the 1x1.  Good.  Many an adventure will be had atop the Karate Monkey.  I'm not selling it if I move to the mountains.  :)  Keep your paws off.  

The old 1x1, shown in a common storage place, a messy Grand Forks apartment full of bikes and gear. 












The end of my grieving :)  -the new Karate Monkey, enjoying a lap at Lebanon Hills...





No comments: