Saturday, January 30, 2010

5 year vintage

So I realized something looking at this blog recently. As of earlier this month, it had an anniversary. I started it on a very cold Grand Forks January night in 2005, making it five years old. Not bad, considering the number of personal blogs that tend to start with high hopes only to fizzle out in the first year or two. The other thing that makes me feel good about treadnorth making it this far comes from its general purpose. I write about mainly about my outdoor pursuits and adventures, and seeing it survive this long means I’ve had a good five years of fun outside. There have been great trips, both local and distant that have kept me entertained over the past five years, and I intend to have many more to share. Many of you reading have been a part of them. Thanks!

Looking to the future, I’m excited for good reason. Over the past several years I’ve had a lot of great experiences cycling, hiking, climbing, running, etc., and each trip has taught me a bit more of what I’m capable of, and what’s out there waiting. The world is whatever size you make it. If you spend all your time at home, it may be pretty small and routine (although not necessarily- I am not speaking poorly of home, just stating it’s wonderful to get out and see things). If you worry about the limits of your fitness, you’ll never stretch them. A decade ago, I was nervous at the idea of a 50-mile bike ride, much less a 530-mile loaded tour. I was a 5.8 climber, not working 5.11’s. I was an excited backpacker but hadn’t been out that far, and didn’t know enough about my gear/clothing. Now I’ll walk in most any weather for as many days as I have available. I hated even the idea of running, and now despite being very new at it, I’m regularly running several miles a week in a barefoot style, and enjoying it all. I was restricted to the areas I could get to by way of an unreliable vehicle stationed in the prairie (and how much gas I could afford was definitely an issue.) Now I have free/(or almost) air travel to much of the country/world due to my job. I am mentally and physically stronger, with a larger taste for adventure than I started out with. I’m ready for more., and you should come with me.

What does 2010 have in store? I have many ideas as usual, and need to set some goals. So far on the tentative menu several possibilities are listed out.: a climb of Mt. Adams; much more of the Superior Hiking Trail (either backpacking, dayhiking, or trail running); the Maah Daah Hey Trail via mountain bike; backpacking the Na Pali Coastline in HI; more UT trips as much as the Paasch’s will have me (thanks); a possible cycle-tour in TX (Big Bend area); a 200 mile one day bike ride? (been dreaming of that one for a long time); longer runs of lengths not yet figured out; whatever rock climbing I can get on the schedule; winter camping on the North Shore of Lake Superior before winter is up (plenty of that left as of now); more weekends with the Long Haul Trucker; riding the full Headwaters 100 with Alison for her first century; whatever else sounds fun outside on a moments notice. These are just my ideas from the first couple weeks this year. More to come for sure.

So I hope to continue treadnorth in the same style, reporting on many adventures I enjoy with many of you over many more years. Thanks for reading…

No comments: