Saturday, January 09, 2010

Chilly commute

So yesterday, Jan 8th, 2010, the high in STP was lower than the low in many many places. Low of -6 in the morning (something like a -18 wind-chill if I recall), and a high of 9, with similar wind-chills due to slightly more wind. I biked to work. Not for any sort of congratulations; most people considered the act foolish. I just like to ride my bike, as you know. I've been very tired of not doing much riding since Christmas, as we had a day of rain then after much snow, and this has left the roads in STP worse than I've ever experienced. I don't have any pictures of them below, as I was too focused on not falling when passing over them. I had no problems whatsoever with staying warm. Most people would conjure that as the biggest challenge to riding on this type of day. Actually, I had to ditch a layer a couple of times due to getting sweaty. -6 is really not terribly bad when you're moving. I'm not seeking it out or anything; I'd prefer low 70's and sunshine, but that's not what I have here in MN in January, so I deal. Adapt. Thrive? Probably not that one. But adapt, yes. I need to do some more adapting, by purchasing a set of aggressive studded tires, but I'm afraid the cost is going to prohibit that for a little while longer, and then spring will be here. With the amount of rutted chunky, crash-inducing ice bonded to MN's urban roadways right now, it's near impossible to "control" a bicycle in places. Which at times during a commute induces a "hike-a-bike" scenario. "What is this, mud on the Maah Daah Hey, steep grades in the La Sals, road biking into a plains wind?", my mind thought as I pushed through the strain yesterday. But I had to answer it- "No, you're just riding in a major metropolitan area on the way home from work." "Why does it hurt so much?" Welcome to MN in January. Cheers. I won't stop.

Getting to work. 8 am. -1F. Wind chill -17F.



















What would be a very boring place if not injected with equipment used for better times...



















Arriving at my apartment. 7pm. 4ish degrees. Wind chills, well, still friggin' cold.





No comments: