Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lemond is on the road again...

I mentioned a while ago on the blog that my 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires was hurting and in need of upgrades. Specifically, the original carbon fork had a scary crack and needed replacement. Since it's a 1" steerer system, and I needed to upgrade to a thread-less system, it took some searching for a fork/stem/bar setup that would keep the ride the same. I'm happy with how it all turned out. I went with the Rivendell Carbonomas steel fork, a Chris King NoThreadSet, FSA New Ergo Bar, and a Specialized stem that will cover a lot of angles via a shimming system so that when I decide exactly where I'll cut the steerer I should be able to keep my bars in the same place. Right now I just left a ton (85mm!) of spacers on to see how I like the fork overall before cutting it to size and flipping and appropriately shimming the stem (which in addition to the angle shim required a 1" to 1 1/8" shim due to the old steerer size).
I took the bike out for an epic 6 miles on Summit (sarcasm, but it was still fun), and it felt great. The geometry is extremely close to right where it was before, and it felt good to go fast again after all this time away from my non-tubby road bike. Surlys, you have nothing to worry about- the Lemond can't haul 50 lbs of gear. :) But it's good to go fast and far and light too. I hope to get out a bit on it before the snow flies. It'll probably get some more upgrades next spring, but for now it's quite rideable and ready for miles. No more scary old fork.

Enjoying my new headset press (birthday money- I decided to retire my homemade one for the real thing- luxury tools are nice once and a while)

Pretty...

I don't see myself with a real crown race setting tool when a $2.03 PVC pipe does the job though...

I'll get a proper picture of it in it's element soon, but here it is in the stand for now...

Mullet lounging in the empty fork box...he's always helping during projects...



No comments: