Sunday, September 18, 2011

T6 Texan Ride

A coworker of mine at the airline owns a T6 Texan, and invited me to go along on a formation fly-by event he and some of his T6 buddies were hired to perform, and I jumped at the chance. Most of my flight time has been in modern training aircraft and commercial people-movers, neither category being aggressive and exciting, so a formation flight in the T6 was great. I didn't fly, mind you, I don't have a tailwheel rating, or know much of anything about the T6 for that matter, but just riding made me plenty happy.
We took off from KFCM in the SW Metro, flew past a great sunset and downtown with one of the other aircraft, then caught up with the rest of them at KANE on the north side of town. The fly-by was a high school football game in a northern suburb, and I'm sure they enjoyed the diamond formation of noisy Texans leaving smoke trails above their game.
I'm not used to being so close to other aircraft in flight (kind of a big goal to avoid that in the airlines :) ), so it was pretty cool seeing these guys operate. It's a lot of coordination to put on what they consider a routine show. Thanks for the ride!

Riding in the back...

Running up at KFCM...

Sunset just starting...

They get close...

Yep, close.

At night too... :)


No comments: