Friday, March 09, 2012

Fatbikin' through the Cities...

Last weekend I only had a single day off due to picking up some overtime at work, so I wanted to take advantage of my Saturday and get out on the Mukluk.  Angry Catfish Bicycle + Coffee Bar, a locale bike and coffee shop was having a celebration day of sorts as they were kicking off their 3rd season in business.  I rode over and met some good friends of mine there for coffee and pastry's before heading out of more riding throughout Minneapolis and St Paul.  I have to say I really like this bike shop, and plan to spend more time over there.  They've been a little out of the way for me as I don't get into MPLS very often other than the airport, but now that we live in Highland Park the Catfish is much closer to us.  They have fantastic coffee, a very knowledgable staff, and deal in nothing sweet bicycles and gear.  I think a well spec'd Surly is the lowliest bike I saw in the place.  
After social time at the Catfish, my friend Jonathan and I pedaled over to the Lake Calhoun area, as his coworkers were doing a Polar Plunge (jumping into the lake through a hole in the ice- a questionable northern tradition).  He stayed there for a bit while I grabbed some lunch, and then we met up again for a ride through the many rail to trail corridors in MPLS, which took us under Target Field downtown, and eventually road the east side of the Mississippi back down to my area of STP.  
The ride conditions earlier in the day were fantastic, with snow falling and cold surfaces to ride- a light layer of packed snow in most places.  Quick riding on the big tires.  However, as the day passed, it warmed up just enough that most paths and streets turned wetter, kicking up a constant light spray onto my bike that ended up freezing on contact.  I picked up more ice than I've seen on a bike in quite a while.  There was so much that the weight difference was very noticeable.  It was like carrying a bunch of extra water bottles.  
All and all a good ride and a good day.  I've picked up my third cold of the year this week, and if I can deal with it I hope to have another good ride day this weekend... 

Em and Svea enjoying hangin' at the Catfish..Svea was loving Em's sunglasses, and got to touch all the bikes.  :)


A few shots of all the ice I picked up on the Mukluk riding home...




I became pretty committed to the middle ring halfway through my ride as the front detailer was dealing with this... 


There's a bottom bracket in there somewhere...

2 comments:

Wilson said...

Strikes me as pretty opposite from Maui!

Wilson said...

...but looks like lots of fun though.