Thursday, March 22, 2012

Self-Supported Tour de Pepin...

There is an event ride down in Lake City, MN in early June called the "Tour de Pepin".  I've been intrigued to ride the route ever since I spent a weekend camping down in that area a couple years ago.  Last Saturday a friend and I pulled the trigger and spent the day rolling through the bluffs and water scenery that circles Lake Pepin.  It's actually the widest section (I think) of the Mississippi River that forms the lake.  Due to bridge locations, riding around the lake is a 72 mile route.  And I have to say a pretty descent loop for cycling.  The MN side had a bit more traffic than I prefer (not that cyclists enjoy traffic at all), but the shoulders were ample the whole way, and the WI side of the lake was downright pleasant county riding.  

March in MN?  And no arm warmers or wool layers?


Crossing over the River near Wabasha (town the movie Grumpy Old Men was about)...


Lots of water and bluffs, and many a frog to dodge...a few try to jump into our wheels...


We stopped in the town of Pepin for some lunch, and chose the Third Street Deli, based on a review I found on my iPhone.  It's a little eclectic breakfast and lunch place out of a lady's house, and it was delicious.  I love finding little tasty random places like this while out cycling.  We took down a delicious meal followed by desert and a little relaxing before moving on with the rest of the ride.


Lemon bread pudding with caramelized pears and fresh cream...


Bluffs along the WI side of the Lake...I didn't photograph it, but a few mile down the road from this shot we actually got to enjoy a 410 foot climb, which is a rarity in most of our midwestern riding locales.  I like to climb on my bikes, so it was somewhat of a treat after so much flat all the time.  Not that I have any climbing talent; I just like it.  





It was a nice day out on the road bike, and it has me energized for what I hope will be a season of returning to distance cycling, which I did quite a bit of pre-surgeries.  I always dream up semi-sensible long distance routes that I'd like to get out and achieve, but for a couple years now not many have come to fruition due to healing.  It was great to roll some miles in good company and scenery again on this ride, and I hope there will be more!

No comments: