Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Looking back on fall...

I don't usually post pictures involving my career of flying (too many of my coworkers are already geeking out in that arena :)  ), but I do have to post a few shots of a private flight I was able to take with my wife and her parents this past fall.  We flew a fall colors tour up the North Shore of Lake Superior here in MN in one of the aircraft from my father in law's flying club, Flywell.  
It was an opportunity to see most of our favorite North Shore sites from a different perspective, and at what I thought to be as maybe a few short days past peak colors (the next day heavy winds would come up and take down most leaves).  Unfortunately, some sites where covered in lake effect fog, so we missed a couple places such as the Split Rock area, and Palisade Head/Tettegouche, but the sites further up the shore opened up.  Things are a bit flatter looking from altitude, but still pretty.  Below are a few shots of some of the areas we spend time in while playing on the ground...


Temperance River/Carleton Peak Area...



Moose Mountain/Lutsen Area...



Grand Marais...



Devils Track River Gorge...



Bean and Bear Lake...



Flywell's Archer, taken at Sky Harbor Airport, Duluth...



Not seeing the SW sites just made us decide that we're going to do the trip again next year!  

2 comments:

Doug said...


Very cool perspective. I think my favorite is the Devil's Track pic.

treadnorth said...

Thanks Doug- I'm looking forward to making this flight again sometime when there's no lake fog.