Monday, March 13, 2006

This week is a little sad. It’s the first time in the past five years that I am not spending the week in Moab, UT. I could technically take a Spring Break, even though I’m not in school, because my students are all away, but since Alison and I just went to CA, and plan on making a trip to CO for Casey and Sarah’s (two good friends of ours) wedding in May, we decided to save the money it would cost to make it down to the red rock goodness of UT. My bikes are sitting in my apartment (with only the Surly being fully functional; I’ve had lots of maintenance issues as of late), wondering why they are not ascending the steep grades of the La Sal Mountains, or speeding down Porcupine Rim. My cams are in my closet, wondering why I still have never led any desert crack with them. My boots are also in the closet, wondering why they aren’t spending the nights sitting under a tent vestibule being entirely smelly and covered in red sand. And my taste buds are wondering why they won’t be getting any Scorpion Pale Ale from the Moab Brewery on St. Patrick’s Day, (of course after chowing on the best green chili in UT, from the Moab Diner). It’s a little sad. But Moab will be on the travel list in the future I’m sure. Maybe someday we’ll live closer, and it can be a regular playground.
On a perkier note, I have pictures from last week’s winter camping. No Moab, but fun nonetheless. Some people think winter campers are crazy. These people haven’t figured it out yet. We’re not crazy, we just have fun differently. We see the experience in a way that others do not. Edward wrote some words that made sense in an email to me the other day. I can’t remember his words exactly, but he stated that winter camping is not just “a cold experience” as most people would see it. But rather, it is a challenge to be overcome and adapted too. It’s amazing to see what situations you can enjoy. There is more to the outdoors than going to the lake during the calm warm summer. When you see and experience all that nature has to offer you can truly enjoy it (even if it scares you a little). Just be equipped, including gear and a calm attitude. Anyhow, here are a couple shots from our little snow-camp.














Diggin' for the mornings coffee...














I can't tell if Chris is at Turtle River or on Mt. Shasta again...















Not the face of a cold uncomfortable man...

No comments: