Wednesday, March 25, 2009

busted...

A couple other "bummers" eluded my memory when writing this mornings post.  I failed to mention that I've worn out both the rear rim on my LHT, and the crankset on my KM.  Both Surlys are hurtin'.  Life of a commuter.  The LHT rim, a Bontrager Maverick, is cracking at many eyelets, and should get replaced before my ND tour (which I'm thinking may happen late-May/early June).  The KM's crankset, a Race Face Evolve, is just not settling correctly.  I've had problems with it ever since buying the bike used last year.  It is a new-school 2 piece set up that relies on the appropriate amount of spacers to ensure that one, the bottom bracket bearings operate smoothly, and two, the crank arms are not loose.  I think the guy who had it before me did something stupid the first time he built it and wore down the crank splines, because nothing works to make it smooth now.  It is adjusted in 1mm spacer increments, and between 1mm, I either have significant play in the drive side crank arm, or I bind the bb bearings.  Not cool.  So I need to keep an eye out for a new crankset/bb setup while I continue to ride/destroy this one.  And the rim on the touring set-up; I'll have to do some research and decide on a beefier rim that can actually handle the touring/commuting the bike is designed for and either build it myself or have it done by one of the very skilled wheel-builders found at a couple different Twin Cities shops.  We'll see.  I'd like to stop wrecking expensive bike parts, but I know it wont stop.  It's the lifestyle.  And bike parts are cheaper than car parts. 

And a tour update- I've been pouring over the ND Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme, and just can't decide on a route so far, but I'm working on it.  The Badlands/National Grasslands region is stumping me, for three reasons.  First, I want to see as much as I can since it contains the most impressive scenery in the state.  Second, many of the roads are gravel and don't go anywhere.  :)  It's hard to find a long road to get through the area without taking a major highway.  And third, I need to make sure I have plans to either have somewhere to obtain necessary water, or simply plan to carry a ton of it, which I'd rather not do but will if I have to.  The regions water sources are notorious for clogging water filters due to being extremely silty/muddy.  Yum.  I'll keep you posted as the trip continues to formulate...

No comments: