Friday, March 06, 2009

Dividends are here...

Every March we REI members get a little ansty because we know we're about to receive yearly dividends, which means free gear. Yes. Due to the fact that I use an REI Visa, my dividends the past couple years have been seriously fat, which of course makes me pee myself with excitment, knowing that it's time to get stuff I normally can't afford. :) This year among the list of "free" stuff, is some new cams. A number 5 Black Diamond C4 has been on my wish list for a while, as I need more big pro and it is so very expensive. I will protect up to a 5.85" crack, which is big and painful. BD makes a number 6 that will go to 7.68", but I'm not an off-width monster so I don't know that that will join my rack unless I suddently move to southern UT where that kind of drama is neccessary. :) You never know... The number 5 is huge enough for now, just look at it's wingspan next to another purchase of the day, a number 1 Metolius TCU, my current smallest camming unit:















Or use my laptop for reference....big.



















Intrigued for now....face will be more stretched in a mixed combo of happiness and agony when placing in a real wide crack....















It does feel crazy to own a single piece of rock protection that equals the cost of a craigslist fixed gear bicycle though...puts the cost of trad climbing in perspective.

No comments: