Thursday, October 01, 2009

Headwaters 100 2009

This past weekend was the 2009 edition of the Headwaters 100 in Park Rapids, MN. It was my sixth year attending, so I've now become a "veteran" of the ride. Don't really need the route map anymore. But the ride is still almost as entertaining as it was the first time. I say almost, because the first time I rode it was the second time I'd ever attempted a century (the first time was a non-event ride where I didn't finish the full distance), and I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle it all. So there was an element of excitement, not knowing what to expect. But going into this year, not only have I completed many century's, but I'd ridden the Headwaters route 5 times successfully, and the same level of adventure isn't quite there anymore. But it's always still fun, and well worth the trip up to Itasca country. The reason this year was high on the fun-meter was that Alison came with for the first time. I had planned on doing the full century and finding someone to ride the 45 mile option with her. But as I couldn't find anyone, she was facing her longest road ride to date alone. Not something I wanted to have her do, so I offered to ride with her. She surprised me and said she'd just give the 75 mile loop a try instead! (There are 3 different loop options with differing distances, even though the 100 is the flagship ride). There's the spirit! And she was very successful, riding 77 miles with me and tackling her first cycling endurance event. And seeing as she did not train for it, we both can see the full century is well within next year's goals. Sweet. I'm proud of you babe!

The only camera I had with was my phone, so this is the only grainy photo I have as a memento, but it'll do:



No comments: