Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mobile again.

I'm happy to report I was able to handle another run this afternoon. It's been two weeks since my last run and subsequent period of pain and stiffness. From what I can piece together from all my friends who are runners, I just dove in to fast. I'm used to being out on a bike for hours at a time, and I'm able to repeat that several times a week. So running for twenty minutes left me feeling like I didn't finish exercising; I had so much gas left in the tank, but it was enough of a new activity to kill my joints and hear plenty of screaming from unhappy tendons and muscles. Last Sunday while visiting my folks in Minot, I tried going out for a small run to loosen up in the morning, but found I couldn't handle jogging ten feet due to all the joint discomfort. That's stiff. So I let this week pass to, with a little cycling to loosen up (plus teaching long days on my feet), and today I felt good enough to get back to it, but kept it easy. I only ran about a mile and a quarter, and walked another mile. My knees, ankles, and hips seem to have accepted it all right. So I'm glad I didn't hurt myself two weeks ago; I wasn't sure until the past couple days.

Another note from this week- I went to the Minneapolis showing of the Reel Rock Film Tour this past Thursday night. Incredible. Every time I catch a glimpse of what the world's "professional" climbers are up to, I am floored. Alex Honnold's soloing of Zion's Moonlight Buttress and Yosemite's Half Dome was a bit surreal. I really don't know what to think of it. The climbing world can't help watching in amazement and feel that he is truly a cut above the rest, yet at the same time recognize the absolute absurdity of it all. 1,100-2,000 feet of ropeless climbing on some of the world's most famed big walls is both a showing of the highest level of boldness and insanity. Achieve the goal and feel the purest and most epic climbing experience, but fail and leave life behind after a brief (or quite long), horrifying, fall. At least Dean Potter occasionally wears a parachute. I'm more than content in my well protected climbing experiences. It's already an passtime taking me to places that most do not see and experiencing thrills most wont. No reason to invite death in the mix.

No comments: