Monday, January 31, 2011

Midpoint of winter and healing.

Winter. Tough season in the North. Anyone who has read my blog over the years it has been around has been exposed to my regular pattern: summers are pretty great for me, staying outside a lot, fall is even better. Winter sets in and I dig the snow for a while, then come this exact time of the year I'm over it. Sort of- in a way I still like it (don't worry, I don't intend for this to be a negative post). I actually do enjoy the Northern winter for some of the very reasons I want it to end. A paradox, but it is what it is. I like that it is fierce- that produces the adventure found within it. Winter cycling and backpacking, skiing and snowshoeing, and the indoor portion- months getting strong in the climbing gym- this is all great stuff. But my body still plays the standard 98.6 degree game, finding it much easier to play in comfortable weather, and I don't blame it. And I always long for more of the West. That wont go away. This year in particular, it has been hard to get psyched for the cold. I don't need to tell the same surgery story all over, it's been posted.
But a harsh winter produces something great- a huge appreciation of your abilities within a tough climate, and an even bigger enjoyment of the warmer months when they show. And this spring will possibly be the best spring I have seen in some time, as I will be not only emerging from a northern winter that lasts the standard 5-6 months, I'll be emerging from an even longer period of physical healing, and I'm starting to see the signs of it now. Feeling anxious often means there's stored energy and new ability.
A couple entries ago, I wrote some decidedly negative words on how I've felt about my recovery- every now and then a person can't help it. Sometimes thats the fuel to pick yourself up and make the best of something. I've been to the doctor again since then, and his encouragement to me has been to ease back into higher physical exertion, which I've been waiting a long time for. I also mentioned recently I've gotten on a treadmill for the first runs since last June. After a few of them now, I can say they are going fairly well. Actually, very well for having major reconstructive surgery. Last night I managed to run (slow and easy) 3 miles, and walk another .5. I've found out that if I run wearing a pair of cycling bibs, the shoulder straps keep my pecs from bouncing (and thus hurting due to rubbing on the bar/buried nerves), and I can jog at a slow pace. I'm going to rejoin my climbing gym in about 4 weeks, where I can continue to run, and even start some top-roping (doc changed his mind about this recently- he didn't really understand before the safety involved in indoor climbing- that there is extremely little chance I'm going to take a big punch to the sternum top roping something easy, so he said it's ok- much earlier than the July I thought I'd have to wait for- we'll see how my chest takes it though- I don't intend to hurt myself). So, even as I write this, I can see more clearly that I'm actually coming along alright toward living the active life I've enjoyed so much in the past.
I think it's time to set some goals for the year. This may be difficult, as I don't know exactly how hard I'll be able to go in the coming months, but it never hurts to work toward something- even if you don't make it. Trying is better than not. The goals I have in mind so far (only so far- I'm sure my mind will get more and more excited to go bigger as I heal further) are to ride a century before the bar in my chest is removed in July, and to run my first half marathon this year. I'd like to run a full marathon, and preferably a trail marathon, but I will have to see how my body works before getting carried away too soon. Each month will involve a little more activity, and we'll see how far I can go.
There is a decent chunk of this winter left, but it can be enjoyed with the right appreciation. And it's going to build a great spring. It may not be a record-setter of a year, but I intend to make it the best I can.

Feeling the excitement of winter breaking, last year in Yosemite, running in FiveFingers (60 degrees in the Valley):

No comments: