Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Snow venture...

I got my touring bike really sloppy for the first time. I my last post I wrote of the latest storm to sweep the Salt Lake Valley. I did in fact go biking since I have no skis. I wanted to ride the base of the mountains behind my apartment in the snow, so I buckled down and climbed 400 N, an outrageously steep road leading up into the hills from our place. I don't know the exact grade, but Kelly and I agree that it feels much worse than the 12% grades by his house. Steep. I did have an easier time on my touring bike than I usually do on my race oriented Lemond due to the added gearing, but it was still intense. Once up the main climb, I rode along Bountiful Blvd, which parelles the base of the mountains, and headed up to Mueller Park. I was pretty sloppy up there, where as the roads down lower weren't holding the snow. I chilled up by the creek at the mouth of the canyon where Mueller Park is nestled for a while, then returned back down to home. Good ride, but the cleanup was terrible. It's one thing to get the old Surly 1x1 all slopped up, but with a full-out touring machine with tons of gears and fenders, there are a lot of nooks and crannies to dry out. My air compressor did a good job of blowing everything dry. When cleaned and relubed, I retired the 520 back to the rack until it's next journey. I need some panniers so I can use it for what it's actually for. Camping by bicycle will be great!

The wall that is 400 N, seen here in the midst of the snowing...we're looking up, mind you, so it's steeper than it looks in the photo...



















Are we in San Francisco?? Nope, there's snow all over...














The 520 literally chillin' at Mueller Park...

No comments: