Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Fool's Progress

Last night I finished Edward Abbey's The Fool's Progress. This was perhaps the best book I've read in quite a while. I say that not because I think everyone will like it, or that it contained a message that I think everybody needs to be exposed to, but because it hit a nerve within me. The best books you'll read are the ones in which you can tell the author has felt the same feelings that you are feeling, or have felt, so you relate, and it's not just a story. There were certain qualities, ideals, and opinions that the main character of the book had that I share (but certainly some that I did not). I guess sometimes it's comforting to know that others have the same delirium that you suffer from, and that there's more than one mindset in the world. The book is basically Abbey's autobiography morphed into fiction. Made me feel like writing my own. Maybe I will someday, for my own sake more than to try to sell a book. I'm definitely going to read more of Abbey's works. If you like to read, check out The Fool's Progress. It will hit you or it won't. Depends on what's already in your head, I suppose.

No comments: