Saturday, February 24, 2007

Those who toot their own horn...

Well, I'm thankful for having my new job, but it sure hasn't turned out to be what it was made out to be in my interview. I've been in the Coon Rapids shop for the past week, and it's pretty much been a return to Scheels, where I worked before during college and during some flight instructing days. I spend most of my days in a chemical bath of sorts, degreasing very neglected low quality bicycles that customers have dragged out of the corners of their dirty garages with demands that they perform like a $1000 plus bike. I've been putting in 10.5 hour days working alongside my supervisor, who has bloody bullet holes tattooed on his neck, and who recently asked me if I "blaze" (smoke weed), apparently looking for more people to waste away with. My managers have also clued me into the fact that the company off-loads 9 out of 10 mechanics as soon as the busy season is over (July or August), so job security and promotion opportunities that were boasted about in my interview my have been fluff to get me excited to work there. I can't say as of now, but needless to say the week was less than motivating. Maybe I'll end of eating all my words about the flight industry and return to the air sometime. I wouldn't make any money, but work would be interesting. Doesn't seem to be a lot of places were you can do both. Anyhow, my point today was not to bum anyone out, just to give an update. For now I'm going to watch the Tour of California on my day off...sweet...

No comments: